I am excited to share my Vision Design Board for our boys’ room:
This design board will provide me with the vision that I need to get a beautiful design on a low budget.
Here is how:
By creating a vision for my space, I can begin to prioritize and get creative with my purchases and projects..
1. First of all, I can determine which items in the room I can’t live without and/or “make” the room. For this particular room, I have decided that the orange medallion duvets (5.), the whale pillows (6.), and the planet mobile (13.) are those items. If I wanted to spend a lot more time, and still spend money, I could possibly recreate some of these items, and/or have them made. But after consideration of time and cost, my recommendation would be to purchase these items. They offer big design impact for a reasonable price.
2. Secondly, now that I know what I want, I can begin looking for copycat items that give me the same look for less money. The sheets (3.), The coverlet (4.), The blinds (12.), The wall map (10.), and possibly even the rug (1.) and pillows (2., 14.), are of a basic enough design that I can take my time on a web search that could turn up many comparable products. I assist my clients in how to approach these searches.
3. I can begin planning for DIY projects that will save me significant money, and still give me a designer look. For example, for this particular room, I am scouring Craigslist to find matching twin beds that I can paint in a deep navy. In addition, I have a DIY project for making the pelmet box window treatments. And since pillows are super easy to make or have made, I will keep my eyes open for remnant fabrics that give me a similar look.
- Rug, Dash and Albert
- Chevron Pillow, Etsy
- Dot sheets, Pottery Barn Teen
- Coverlet, Serena and Lily
- Duvet, West Elm
- Ivano the Whale, Contemori, Etsy
- Navy Beds, Land of Nod (plus an optional DIY)
- Lack Table, Ikea (plus an optional DIY)
- Green lamp, Target
- Wall map, Amazon (plus a DIY for the frame)
- Window Treatments, (a DIY project)
- Wood blinds, Lowe’s
- Planet mobile, originally Pottery Barn Kids, now limited availability on ebay
- Orange dot pillow, Etsy
- Optional Painted floor, (a DIY project)
- Not pictured in the Design Board is a square table and chair set that I will use in the opposite corner of the room. I plan on finding a small kitchen table and 4 chairs on Craigslist.